We created the RevelOne Marketing Skills Map to help marketing leaders successfully hire teams as well as marketers who are thinking about their own careers. Our tool outlines the universe of roles and skills found in a mature marketing department.
How Company Leaders Use This Tool
- Org Structure – Design your marketing department around the customer lifecycle and supporting groups. Consider the right size for each group depending on your business objectives and company stage.
- Role Definition – Define roles by prioritizing skill sets. Use our map to select 3-5 of the most important skills for each role.
- Skill Portfolio Assessment – Review your team’s skills collectively vs the skills required to accomplish your goals to identify gaps where you need to hire or further develop your people.
How Marketers Use This Tool
- Career Trajectory – Marketers can use this as a roadmap to becoming a CMO or other leadership role. Identify your key strengths and the areas of depth or breadth you need to develop in order to accelerate your career.
- Exploring Marketing Channels – Junior marketers who are looking to specialize can use this as a tool to explore different channels and decide where they’d like to focus.
Start by finding your current role on the map below and see what skills you still need to master. Next, think about what adjacent areas to develop in order to reach your goals for your next role. Those skills might relate to other functions or channels, or they might involve the skills you need to progress in level — like managing people, owning external partner relationships, or overseeing budgets and planning.
Brand / Awareness
Acquisition / Lead Generation
Engagement & Retention
Analysis & Operations