We all deserve to work with people who respect us, invest in our growth, and compensate us fairly. These are the key ingredients for a successful career, but they’re tricky to find in tech, where career paths aren’t linear, companies can grow or fade quickly, and you’re one bad boss away from updating your LinkedIn profile.
RevelOne was founded by marketing execs who have hired and mentored people in companies of every size and stage. We’re passionate about helping people reach their potential and avoid the common pitfalls we’ve seen many people — including ourselves — experience in their careers.
We’ve talked to hundreds of talented marketers, like yourself, and we’ve heard similar challenges again and again from many people.
Common Challenges from People in Tech Companies
- You’ve been burned by working for failed (or low growth) startups
- You’re unsure of what skills are needed to land your next big role
- You love your job, but you’re not learning from your boss (or your role) anymore
- You enjoy your role, but the company is not doing well
- Your skills and interests are not well suited for the company’s next stage of growth
We’re not here to give generic or superficial career advice — no lists of “7 Things You Should Never Wear to an Interview.” Our goal in this series of articles is to go deep into the highly specialized challenges of startups and tech companies.
We’ve talked to top CMOs and leaders about their own career paths and what has made them successful. From this, we’ve developed a guide to help you think about what’s important, how to find happiness, and the steps required to get there.
The RevelOne Career Guide provides frameworks and data related to your goals, skills, compensation, and how to choose a company.
RevelOne Career Guide
- When Should You Make a Move? Time is your most precious asset — should you stick it out or move on?
- Choosing the Right Company – Should you go with an early startup where compensation will be more equity-focused or a larger company with more stability?
- What Really Matters to You? Do you know what makes you fulfilled or are you chasing the wrong things?
- Map Your Skills to Your Goals – Should you go deeper in your current channel or explore new ones to reach your goals?
- Finding Your Culture Fit – Do you know how to determine whether a company’s culture is a good match for you before joining?
- What Are Your Options Worth? Do you know how to assess your comp or what you are being offered?
- Your Network is Your Competitive Advantage – Do you understand how to build an effective network and how to best leverage it?
RevelOne is a leading marketing advisory and recruiting firm. We do 300+ searches a year in Marketing and Go-to-Market roles from C-level on down for some of the most recognized names in tech. For custom org design, role scoping, and retained search, contact us.